Monday, January 13, 2014

Strawberry Kale Salad with Goat Cheese and Candied Almonds and Pepitas



I have a funny relationship with my salads. It's monogamous and loving at first. We see each other everyday. There are sparks flying. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. We're completely committed to each other and are totally exclusive. And then, the relationship fizzles and I get bored. Suddenly sweet peppers are capturing my eye. Bean sprouts turn me on. And when once I wanted savory, I now want sweet. Viscous cycle I tell you. Viscous. I'm such a salad ho. 

I cheated on my last salad. We had a great thing going with the tahini lemon dressing. And then I saw strawberries at the grocery store and I... I became weak with desire. 

This salad love story is for real this time, I just know it. We were meant to be together. Strawberries with a honey lemon dressing. It's like strawberry lemonade! And candied pepitas and almonds instead of just plain old toasted ones. This salad is like dessert in a bowl. Oh and I forgot the crème de la crème. The ultimate icing on the cake. The angels singing all their glory. Yes. You know it. Crumbled goat cheese. 

You look hungry. Ok. Here's the recipe. It seems long but I broke everything down in tiny steps. You have to do this right. You must always work on your relationship. This one is the one. I feel it. Good luck! And may you live happily ever after together in salad heaven.

For the salad:
1 bunch curly kale
5 large strawberries 
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/2 lemon
extra virgin olive oil (enough to drizzle)
Pinch of salt


For the candied almonds and pepitas:
1/4 cup pepitas
1/4 cup sliced almonds 
Honey to drizzle 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 


For the dressing:
1/2 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil 
1-2 TBS agave or honey
Black pepper 


1. In a medium sized skillet, add pepitas and almonds to toast.
2. Remove from heat when they've reach desired toastiness.
3. Immediately add the vanilla extract and drizzle honey all over the nuts. Stir it up with a wooden spoon.
4. Pour candied nuts onto plate and allow to cool and harden.
5. In the meantime, julienne your kale. (Watch my video for instructions)
6. Add juice from half a lemon, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt to the julienned kale.
7. Massage kale until you get desired consistency. (Watch my video for the fun(ny) and easy instructions
8. Slice up strawberries and add to the kale salad, along with the goat cheese. Set aside and begin making salad dressing.
9. Combine all ingredients for the salad dressing in a cup or bowl, and mix well. Pour over kale salad. 
10. Last step: add the candied almonds and pepitas to the salad and enjoy the tangy, sweet, and crunchy love fumes. 

Til next time! 

-Kale Queen







1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try this one out! Cesar and I are trying to eat healthier this year but I don't know how to start hahaha... the article you posted on facebook will come in handy as well. :D

    ReplyDelete